Studio time is near...

In case some of you did not already know: I am a musician as well. And occasionally, I like to share this fact with the world, because some promotional skills are better than no promotional skills. Even though I am most assuredly not really that good at promotion and/or people skills. But I digress.

Coming week, we are hitting the studio for our second album and I can safely say that I am most excited about that. And also terrified. You see, even though it is not the first album I have ever recorded in a studio (the counter is ticking, but at this point it is roughly at ten), there is still that small amount of trepidation, because I am morbidly unsure about everything and I do know that as soon as I play a mistake, I get so focused on that one mistake, everything that comes after it wille not be as good. It is a silly mindset, but I do fear it is one I can not seem to get rid of for some strange reason. I had the same problem whilst learning how to drive. You would move along swimmingly, make one small error and then everything after that seemed to go topsy-turvy for some bizarre reason.

Yes, it is silly beyond belief and yes, last time it worked out just fine, but I am filled with a slight amount of nervousness and you will have to humour me in letting me express this a couple of times over and over, because I need to get it off my chest. Please. Indulge me on this for a moment.

Maybe it is that far-flung part of me that is too perfectionistic for my own good. That is a sincere possibility. Then again, I must also admit that it does not work in all areas of my expertise. As a musician, I always strive to be as good as I can possibly be and then transcend to a new level. Oftentimes, it is the band I am in that pushes me to a new level, which is rather nice. (Yes, that was an understatement, why do you ask?)

You see, it has taken me quite a few years to figure out one simple thing about my musicianship which I try to keep in mind most of the time. I may not be the best guitarplayer around, but I am worse than I want to be and better than I think I am.

This does not only count for me, but maybe you can consider this as some sort of weird inspirational quote. Just do not plaster it all around the internet. It is not that good.

Reacties

Populaire posts