Cosplay

Well, you might have guessed thanks to this title, but there is a thing called cosplay and I thoroughly enjoy it.

The end.

Or it could have been, but then this would have been the shortest blogpost ever and seeing as I have a penchant for exhaustively describing everything, I will not stop there. That would be much to easy and complacent of me.

If you have never set foot on the world wide web, there is a remote chance you have never heard of the concept. It is in fact quite simple: you dress up as a fictional character.

That is pretty much it in essence, but of course there is so much more to it than just that.

See, this gives us the chance to become someone or something from a franchise that we truly enjoy. It is a way of living the dream, becoming a character we want to be or look up to. It is stepping out of your comfortzone for a while and more or less act according to the character you emulate or have created. It is also tons of fun.

Yes, I am fully aware that not everyone in the world gets it, but why should everyone? I do no care in the least if you 'get it' or not. You do not have to like it, as long as the people that do, do. There is the simple truth of it all.

And yes, I also get the tedious comments of being too old for this type of thing, or that it is downright silly. The first one makes no sense, maybe the second one does. But truth be told? That does not matter. Other people enjoy getting wasted during the weekend. Not my cup of tea. Some people like modelbuilding. That is occasionally my cup of tea (Lego for the win!). But all that actually does not matter. Why? Because I enjoy doing it, and I try to be as good of a character as I can be.

I have a few things in this respect. I have been the original Red Power Ranger, I have been Scorpion from Mortal Kombat, I have been a pretty convincing Deadpool as well. Mainly because I have the physique to pull it off. That is not arrogance. I actually have the build for it through years of training my backside off two to three times a week. Haters gonna hate. My next one will be the noir version of Spider-Man, because I like to try new things. Not only is it a lot of fun, but do you even comprehend the joy it brings, especially on the faces of children? You can not describe the awe when little kids come up to you (or their parents, for the shy ones), and then ask you for a picture. Because right there and then, you become the hero those little ones dream of, they are at that moment living their dream and who are you to take that away from them?

Let them believe in heroes. The world is in desperate need of some.

Reacties

Populaire posts