Grumpy old man

I am a grumpy old man.

There is no point whatsoever in denying this simple fact of life. Well, there could be, but that would also entail that I would be talking out of my hat, and for some strange reason, that is not the way to go from this point onward.

It did take a while for this realization to set in, though. Yes, we all go through the stage of absolute denial (which in this case most definitely is not a river in Egypt, I can assure you). But after a while, you will drop the pretense and embrace the fact that as you get older, you become more grumpy.

I must specify that I am not necessarily talking about everyone. I'm just talking about me. Egotistical at this point, but let's be completely honest: the only reason we drop stuff on the internet is for egotistical reasons. If it is not for 'likes' or 'comments' or even hateful reactions, we would never start typing or vlogging away.

Spare me the vlog-idea, please. I am from a generation that still feels trepidation whenever a camera is in the neighbourhood, let alone the idea of buying said camera myself and then (even worse) continuously filming myself whilst pretending to know anything about anything.

Which I do, by the way. I know a lot of things about a lot of things, but that is all stuff that may become clear once I have written more than just a single blogpost. Which I plan to. But I might as well just drop everything here entirely after a couple of texts because I feel the incessant need to do several things at once. Not at the same time. Do not give me too much credit, I am after all a man and terrible at multitasking.

If you found that remark sexist, you had better brace yourself. There might be worse coming in the future. Not that a little self-criticism ever hurt anyone. Well, maybe. But not me. If someone else does that, then it becomes that awkward little sting in the abdomen that shouts out: "Oi!", immediately followed by the realization that the other person might in fact be right. And you resign yourself to that fact and afterwards cry inwardly whilst consuming copious amounts of chocolate. Because chocolate is life and I will fight you should you feel the need to deny this fact of life.

But still, I am a grumpy old man. Probably have been since the day I was born. No, wait. That is too big of a cliché. And it most likely is also a load of bollocks. But I often find myself being grumpy at a lot of things in the world today. Yes, I could state obvious one (and I most likely also will do that on several occasions), but I also find that my tolerance for a lot of things diminishes with every year that passes by. I wish I knew why. I don't want to be a sad little grumpy man, but bar the 'sad' part I usually bitch and complain a lot.

I also swear a lot. Every so often, some article on the internet will pass you by saying that people that swear a lot are more intelligent than others. It's absolute poppycock, but I like to flaunt this as an excuse to people that are often offended by my candid and rather rude nature. I do apologize, it is how I am designed by mother Nature.

And by the way: people that swear a lot are actually more intelligent, did you know that?

Reacties

Populaire posts