Glad we got that out of the way

So it has finally come to this: another end to another year.

Quite frankly, I do not really care all that much. You see, whether or not you start a year (any year) on the first of January or the 27th of August, you will pass the exact same amount of days every time. Unless of course we are dealing with a leap year, but that goes without saying.

Unlike the hyped up happiness during Christmas, I have less of a problem with all the hullabaloo surrounding New Year. That is not to say I thoroughly enjoy it (which I do not), but this fascinates me more.

And fascination is sometimes key, I believe.

You see, why this fascination? Well, why are people so exuberantly happy during the end of the year and the beginning of a new one? I honestly do not quite understand it. The weather is usually foul, so are we desperately trying to inject some much needed levity into our surroundings?

Somehow I do not think that to be the case. Allow me to try and explain and perhaps, in doing so, give my own, narrow view on the proceedings.

You see, I believe strongly that all the season's greetings starting a new year are in fact based around a simple principle: we have all survived another round of life.

Yes, you might also state that we tend to do this as well during our annual festivities concerning our demise (also known as our 'birthday'), but that is another beast entirely. Because that is occasionally celebrated in smaller numbers and closer circles and/or more confined quarters. So in a sense, this has less of an impact on the grander scale of things.

But New Year's Eve - for most people - is a whole other monster. Because in this version, a far larger number of people tend to gather and celebrate survival for another year, so in this respect the catharsis is a lot greater or grander. And again, this is perhaps why more people go absolutely completely bonkers during this night, sometimes indulging in almost blowing themselves up because they have absolutely no idea how to properly handle fireworks.

Good for them. Not the badly handling of fireworks, mind you. That is just silly.

But you might also be very correct in surmising that all this is not my cup of tea. I tend to shun large crowds anyway, and large crowds of people overcompensating happiness and all around drunkenness simply get on my nerves anyway. So I'll sit quietly here, sipping something like tea (more likely it will be fizzy water, come at me, you infidels), letting everything pass by like the ordinary day I try to imagine it to be.

Glad we got that out of the way. On to the next one.

Reacties

Populaire posts